Thursday 27 June 2013

Tamarind Rice (Classic Iyengar style)

This is a classic Iyengar style Tamarind Rice recipe that I followed from Dakshin (book). It is quite  elaborate in its preparation. However, you can always store the tamarind spicy chutney in the refrigerator for long time and preparation of rice is easy once the chutney is done.

I love tamarind rice and my mom used to use a simple recipe that included boiling tamarind juice with lots and lots of green chillies, some fenugreek and salt. I have not really seen her do any elaborate spice mix /paste as this recipe asks for. It was I believe the Andhra style (as I grew up in Hyderabad - Andhra Pradesh). We used to call the tamarind chutney "Pulikyachal" and it was so yummy, we used to eat it with hot rice and pappadam (Kerala style).

A small anecdote about my mom's recipe is that it was so popular in the community that during "Annadanam" activities as part of Sathya Sai Samithi, she would make this in bulk (big cooker worth of rice) and distribute it amongst the needy. I used to take part in this activity during Summer holidays. I also remember collecting ice from various houses and sitting in the milk booth, distributing "ice cold water" to commuters and the thirsty on a hot summer day (another activity of Sathya Sai Samithi). The satisfaction of quenching the thirst of a thirsty is immeasurable. I am happy I was part of this activity, and applaud all who do that even now.

After marrying into a Iyengar family, I found very quickly that tamarind rice is one of the most important /signature dishes cooked during festivals. The menu during a feast MUST have the following entrees - Tamarind rice (with appalam - tamilian style), thaire vadai (vada in spicy yogurt),  Pooshinikai More Kozhambu (Ash gourd yogurt soup), Sathuamudhu (Rasam - Pepper soup), Karamudhu (vegetable fry), and Dadhyodhanam (spicy yogurt rice).  My mom-in-law used to labor in the kitchen to create all these delicious entrees and I used to help her as a true assistant. I also had once asked her the recipe while I was in the US, but did not really do justice to the dish, as my husband gave his typical "ok" indicating that it was far from what his mom makes. 

The recipe from Dakshin reminded me of my mom-in-law's recipe. So, I thought why not try it, lets see what my husband says this time.  You will not believe it, but for the very first time in my life, my husband called me at work yesterday and told me that this Tamarind rice reminded him of his mom's and was truly Iyengar style!! In all the years I am married to him, he has never called me to commend on my cooking and that too, he gave me an "A" as you know his comments have always been "ok" which is a "B".

So, I proudly present to you - The Tamarind Rice (Iyengar style)
Courtesy: Dakshin (Chandra Padmanabhan)

Tamarind Chutney
Ingredients

An orange sized tamarind pulp
3 cups hot water
salt to taste
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp powdered jaggery

Dry Masala for chutney
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup coriander seeds
8 red chillies
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tbsp bengal gram dal (yellow split pea)
1 tbsp black gram dal
few curry leaves

Garnish 
1/2 cup white sesame seeds
1/3 cup flaked coconut

Tempering
2 tbsp sesame oil
10 red chillies (can use green chillies)
2 tsps brown mustard seeds
1 tbsp bengal gram dal
few curry leaves

Direction to making tamarind chutney
Soak the tamarind in hot water for 15 min until soft, squeeze out juice and set aside.
For Masala, heat oil in pan, add all the spices and curry leaves and saute for 2-3 min until brown. Place mix in blender and blend into a fine powder.
For Garnish, dry roast the sesame seeds and coconut and dry grind in blender into fine powder
Heat oil in heavy saucepan, add the green chillies (or red), mustard seeds, bengal gram dal and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds sputter, add the tamarind juice, salt, ground turmeric and jaggery and let it cook in low heat until the paste thickens. Add all the dry masala and 2 tbsp of garnish powder. Keep the rest of garnish for rice. Let it cook and thicken in low heat until oil comes out. You can store the tamarind paste in refrigerator for a month.


Tamarind Rice preparation
Ingredients
1 cup long grained rice
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp ground turmeric
salt to taste
2/3 cup roasted peanuts
3-4 tbsp tamarind chutney
2 tbsp garnish powder

Tempering
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tbsp bengal gram dal
1 tbsp black gram dal
1 tsp asafoetida
few curry leaves

Directions for making tamarind rice

Cook the rice separately and spread to cool. Add ground turmeric and salt and mix thoroughly. Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in heavy frying pan, add the mustard seeds, and all the dals, asafoetida powder and few curry leaves. When the mustard seeds sputter, add peanuts (roasted), saute for 2-3 min. Add this to rice and mix. Now add 3-4 tbsp tamarind chutney and mix thoroughly. Taste and add more if needed. Sprinkle the garnish powder over the rice and stir thoroughly.

You can store the tamarind paste for months in the refrigerator. The tempering and garnish can be prepared fresh along with rice. Enjoy with appalam or papadam..











No comments:

Post a Comment