Friday 7 June 2013

Kanda Poha (Pune delicacy)

I used to make Kanda (onion) Poha (flattened rice or Avil) since I started cooking in Hyderabad and US the way my mom taught me for many years but never really mastered the art until I came to Pune. My daughters eat Poha regualarly as an evening snack in their daycare and love it. It was Sindhu who enthused me to learn it well, as she complained that I never make Poha which is her favorite snack! So, I was determined to learn this dish from a Pune expert- none other than my Bai (Maid Servant) :)

Since I like to be Servantless, I decided to learn it diligently from her so I can please my daughter. Anybody can make Poha as it is one of the easiest snack one can make. However, the art is in the soaking time and method of making it that makes it a signature dish for anyone.

Poha or Avil is actually a poor man's diet. In Indian mythology, Lord Krishna's friend Sudama carried a handful of Poha to his friend as gift as that is all he had. Krishna in return ate that up and the entire Universe was satiated. For Krishna, Avil is his favorite food and we offer it with Butter during Krishna jayanthi (Krishna's birthday). In Guruvayoor (Krishna) temple, you will find Lord Krishna holding his palm with Avil in his hands. So, in other words, today you will learn how to cook God's food:)

Take 300 g of thick Poha. You get thick and thin variety in any Indian store. Buy the thick flattened rice. Dice 1 onion and 2-3 green chilli (as per your heat level - the more the merrier), 100 g of peanuts, 6 tbsp of refined oil, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp mustard seeds, salt to taste, 1 half of a lemon, coriander leaves, curry leaves to garnish.

Take the Poha and rinse it well in water. Decant or remove the entire water using a strainer and keep it aside. Ensure that all water is removed, otherwise, it will absorb the water and become a paste (this is important to note).

Take oil in a pan, and add the peanuts - sautee until golden brown and remove them into separate plate. Add mustard seeds into same oil and wait until they sputter. Add curry leaves and green chillies, once they brown (within seconds) add the diced onions and sautee until golden brown. Add the salt and turmeric and the peanuts into the onions and mix well. You can add peas, cooked potatoes, tomatoes, green bell peppers if you would like into this mix for variety.

The order of addition of the above ingredients is very important for the right flavor. I used to add salt and turmeric way in the beginning with the mustard seeds even before they pop, and it doesn't bring out the right flavor and taste.

Add the poha into the above mixture of vegetables and mix well until the entire dish turns yellow. Squeeze 1/2 a lemon and garnish on top with fresh green cilantro (coriander leaves) and serve hot.

In rainy days such as these, the best combination is hot Poha and flavored Indian tea... hmmm..
Enjoy !








No comments:

Post a Comment