Thursday 6 June 2013

Couscous Salad

I still remember the very first time I ate a dish made with couscous, it was the meditteranean salad, Tabouli with chick peas and mint - it was quite sour and flavorful.

I also remember the very first time I ate bulgur (broken wheat) or Daliya (as called in India), the Turkish style. Belma, my Turkish friend had specially cooked it for me. It was so simple (she had steamed the bulgur in hot water and added flavorful spicy oil, garnished with sauteed onions and tomatoes, salt and red chilli flakes. mmm.. delicious.. thanks Belma..

Tonight, we had left overs at home and thought of making a simple salad and chose this dish as I had Daliya (broken wheat) at home.. Couscous a processed form of wheat and is not exactly Daliya or Bulgur which is more a broken wheat.  However, it has similar texture and can be used as a substitute for this dish.

Added Daliya into hot water and closed it with lid to cook. Sauteed cut onion (one) and garlic (2-3 cloves) in refined oil, along with diced green bell peppers and cucumber. Added dash of salt, pepper and loads of red chilli flakes. Doused it with two full lemons to make it tangy like Tabouli. Did not have the mint.. otherwise, it tasted yummy and tangy like Tabouli..

Cheers for healthy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment