Wednesday 5 June 2013

Green Paella - Spanish vegetarian rice dish

Living in the US I used to see an ad for a Spanish restaurant that was called "La Paella" in the television. The pronunciation is "Pazheya" with "L" silent in the word. I knew it was a Spanish word but never thought about finding the meaning, but yesterday when I was cooking this dish, was curious to know.. So, here you go readers, the meaning from Google search is given below.. along with its pronunciation. 

pa·el·la/päˈāyä/
Noun:A Spanish dish of rice, saffron, chicken, seafood, etc.
Green Paella - Vegetarian version with all kinds of green vegetables.
I went shopping to get all the essential ingredients, especially garlic which we usually don't store at home. Garlic is the key condiment in this dish that gives it its signature taste and flavor.

I also did some improvisations to the recipe to suit my diet (more protein) and unavailability of ingredients near my home. Ultimately, the dish turned out good, in fact my husband who usually gives me an "ok" gave me "Good". 


Recipe Credit: The Little Big Vegetarian Book, McRae Books) - Page 370

Ingredients

500 g Spinach
2 Onions - Sliced
3 Cloves of garlic - Finely chopped (key ingredient - so don't miss it)
6 Tbsp - Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 Tbsp - Pine nuts (couldn't find it - so did not add it in recipe)
1 dried red chile pepper
250 g red tomatoes
1 large green bell pepper
250 g Italian risotto rice (did not find this so used Indian Kolam rice - Vidya's improvisation)
Salt, fresh ground black pepper 
1 tsp sweet paprika (did not find this)
1/2 tsp saffron soaked in hot water for 15 min (did not add this)
700 ml vegetable stock (did not use this to cook rice)
90 g peas
200 spanish piquillo peppers (did not find this) 
Nutrela (soya) chunk- two small hand fulls (Vidya's improvisation)

Cook the Kolam rice in Pressure cooker with less water and pull it out in 2 whistles. 
Wash the spinach and cook it along with Nutrela chunks and peas for 5-7 min until spinach is blanched or lightly cooked. I cut the spinach into medium size strands
Saute onion, garlic followed by bell pepper, tomatoes separately. In the recipe, they ask for us to add the Risotto rice (Italian) at this time and cook it in vegetable stock, along with red chile, pine nuts, paprika and saffron (so that the rice gets its yellow color). 

I however added the cooked white rice to the sauteed vegetables, added salt, pepper to taste, and topped it with cooked spinach, peas and Nutrela chunks. I added some water from the Spinach boil into the rice dish so that the rice doesn't get dry and let it cook for 5 min in low heat. 
We are to garnish with the Spanish pepper on top which I did not have. I however, served it hot with our classic Mango pickle from Andhra (Avakkai) and the combination was excellent.

Since my husband loved it, I plan to try this again, with Risotto and with No improvisations:)
  
Bon A petite! 










No comments:

Post a Comment